Romsey Town Hall was first opened in 1866 by Romsey Town Council. It is a typical Victorian small town civic centre that housed the County Court as well as civic offices.
Behind the imposing blue double doors that open on to the Market Place the internal layout has been changed over the years to suit various requirements of local government, yet still retains the two principal rooms of the Court Room and Council Chamber. There is even a small holding cell, previously used to house prisoners awaiting court appearances, which is now used as a broom cupboard as it is so small!
Today the building houses the offices of Romsey Town Council (the local parish Council) and the local history society, as well as being used for various civic functions, community events and markets. It is also licenced for weddings and civil ceremonies.
A collection of paintings displayed on the walls reflects Romsey’s connections to the Royal Family and the Mountbatten family, who own the local estate of Broadlands, as well as various other prominent local persons from the past.
The Town Hall is steeped in history and an ideal place to visit when you are in Romsey.
For more information visit www.romseytc.org.uk
Image credit - Allscape Photos
Designed by web-feet